Living Deliberately

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Feet

From the ant plain. It's an oil rich world that makes this much plastic. Everything is plastic. The forms can be infinite. It wasn't always this way, but piece by piece they have replaced the hand-touched, hand-woven, hand-carved, hand-hammered, world of everyday objects with the pour-molded forms, now usually made in China. I have notihing against the Chinese, although bad labor practices anywhere are bad labor practices everywhere, but I do not like the flow of plastic. I do not like that it has grown and permeated everything, covers our houses, stores our food. Petroleum. Oil. Cancer alley. There is no good to come of it, no matter how carefully you look.

An anti-war sentiment is gaining momentum. Iraq is our now our generation's Vietnam. The next Democrat, like Nixon in the early 1970s, inherets a handgrenade with its pin pulled. George Bush has wrought havok. This is a shameful time for our country. And we will be years recovering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home